Friday, October 29, 2010

Birthpains (23 août 2010)

Family,
It's Monday again. Time passes too quickly, but it is not empty. If you knew how much is done in one day in the life of a missionary, you would know that God is a God of miracles. The simple fact that eight hours provides quasi-enough sleep at night is proof of His mercy. It's incredible that eight weeks from today I will be flying to Fiji and then flying home to you all. There is much work to be done though and no time to think about what lies ahead. Though, I am sure to be shell-shocked with all the changes at home. So many babies! I had no idea either that Danielle was expecting!
I was thinking the other day what it would be like to start my mission over again and begin afresh, like Alex, but with all I know now. Alex has no idea what his mission will be to if he allows it to shape him. When I started I had no idea how to be a missionary. I don't think I know a whole lot now, but what I do know is the importance of the Spirit in this work. It is the key. Once you have to Spirit you will know all that you should do.
This week we had many good experiences. We have been working everyday with members and mostly the sisters in the ward. This is not only a benefit for our amis, who feel the strength of a testimony of a "real" person (since we are extra-terrestials or something to them - especially moi), but also for the fortification of our members. Bearing testimony is one of the most conducive ways to invite the Spirit into our lives, and with the Spirit we received added strength to persevere and acquire necessary Christlike virtues. In the teaching situation, all parties (ami, member, and missionary) can be of benefit.
I had many excellent studies this week in the Book of Mormon and the Bible. As I read the Bible, though it may not be in its perfect state, I understand clearly, in the light of the modern gospel, the principles taught. The power of the word of God is incredible. I have also been worried about the progress of my companion - she has been having some difficulties lately, and I was lead to many scriptures this week that were meant for her. I have been praying to be guided as the leader in our companionship, and as time progresses I feel that the Spirit is guiding me to discover what she needs to hear and how to correct her if reproof is necessary. I feel like a mother, and thankfully I have the best parenting guide: the Holy Scriptures.
On Thursday this week we had an interesting afternoon. We were with a member, Soeur Mana, for most of the day and all of our rendez-vous were falling through (which is distressing in general, but even more so when you have a member with you). As we searched for people to try and visit, I remembered a goal we had made in our weekly planning session to go and try to visit some old amis. I had the thought of visiting an ami named Benjamin at an address that I vaguely remember. Nonetheless, we went there and knocked on the doors of the apartment building in order to find him (and contact the people who opened their door: "Yes, we are looking for a Benjamin that lives in this building. Do you know him? He has met with the missionaries, like us, before. Have you ever spoken to the missionaries?" etc.) We ended up knocking on the door of a young mother, and she invited us in. We had a wonderful lesson on the Plan of Salvation with her, and the Spirit was strong. She told us that her father had passed away in May and she teared up. We shared the knowledge and hope we have in eternal families. I am thankful for the Spirit gentle guiding in our lives, especially in missionary work, leading us to those who desire and are searching. I know that Heavenly Father will give unto us the power and the capacities in order to fulfill the divine and great calling to serve His children if we but do all that we can. That scripture in 2 Nephi 25:23 is not just for final judgment or the reception of eternal life, but the grace of Jesus Christ is enough to fill our daily shortcomings if we will but do our very best. The question then is: are we doing our very best?
We had to push Francois' baptism date back to September. He has a desire for baptism though, and I believe Sunday was, the first time in his entire life that he wore a real tie. If this isn't progression then I do not know what is. The brother that came with us to pick him up had to tie it for it and show him how to put it on.
On Saturday night we went to the Seiko's home for a welcome home party for Soeur Seiko, now a returned missionary. She didn't have her badge and she looked melancholy; it was as if someone had stripped her of something dear and precious. The sight of her was foreshadowing for me. But let's not dwell on that. The soirée was great and included a rendition of "Joy to the World" (which is not just a Christmastime hymn) by Soeur Seiko (the mom) and her son Abel.
We have wonderful amis who are progressing, and this area gives me daily joy. Though sometimes I feel much like unto Paul when he describes his missionary work as a birthing process; there is joy, but heavens, there is pain and suffering. But, if we didn't suffer for something, would it really be of great worth to us? Christ suffered the greatest pain in order to give us the greatest blessing: eternal life. The Atonement was no cheap experience, and when we serve our Lord He desires to give us an experience that is of great value. Thus, our mission will be no cheap experience either.
I love you all.
Soeur Cummins
francois

fabianne and children (and cindy ulivaka)