Sunday, November 30, 2008

family

I have family on my mind right now. Perhaps this is so because this is a special time of year dedicated to the bringing together of family, or perhaps it is because this Thanksgiving break is nearing its close and I am reminiscing on the time spent with my family. Whatever the reason may be, I am thinking about my family and how the idea of "family" in all its definitions has ties to my studies of the New Testament.

I think it is important in this discussion to note that Christ lived and died for his family; not just his earthly family, but for each of each heavenly brothers and sisters - which is every single one of us. I believe that at this time of the year it is essential that we spend time loving and serving not only our beloved families, but for our "family" in the larger sense; our human family, our heavenly family. Christ cared for each one of us; he cared for "the one," each member of his family, and I believe that as we enter this Christmas season we need to remember, marvel, and give thanks to our Heavenly Father for the life of our dear older Brother.