Friday, October 29, 2010

And then there were three (16 août 2010)

Dear Family,
First of all, I am thrilled for Alex. What an opportunity it is to serve the Lord! Aouh! And, that he gets to speak a language that he has had 19 years to master is an even greater blessing. Once you enter into the Lord's vineyard you realize that no matter where you are called to serve that the work is the same and that the Lord's children, no matter where they are found, are in desperate need of you. Your tools are the same, the Spirit is the same, and the Master you serve is the same. What a blessing it is to serve Him wherever it is that He beckons us.
I am writing this email as the current most senior missionary (according to departure dates) on the island along with Soeur Leavitt and Elder Larkin. This morning Soeur Seiko and Elder Morrill left the island to have final interviews with President and attend the temple. One will fly back home here (Seiko) and one to a land foreign and forgotten. America, that is.
A few nights ago before the 10:30 bedtime call (which is a serene time of the day), I was reading an article about how the Lord expects and desires for miracles to happening among His children far more than what amount of desire we may have for them. Thus, especially as a missionary, we should expect and pray for them. The next day we saw many. We received two contacts from Sophie, an investigator, after we asked her if she knew anyone that would be interested in our message. Asking for referrals is such a simple act, but so many times I am so wrapped up in the lesson or wanting to get out of someone's apartment so they can relish the Spirit that I forget. This time I felt a distinct impression to ask. So we did, and we received. These contacts ended up being two women who are interested in the church and our message. One's name is Kora Waydriwadri (Maré), the other Juanita.
Each day we are trying to do an hour or more or finding activities (such as following-up on contacts and knocking doors), which is adding more amis into our teaching pool and giving us the sure knowledge that the Lord has prepared His children here for this message. The more I study the Gospel and the closer I come unto Christ in both study and application of His word the more optimistic I become about His work. I am sure of His plan and His love for us.
Yesterday I gave a talk in church about the Book of Mormon and how the three-fold declaration made in the sixth paragraph of the introduction is a way for us to strengthen our families.
I'm not sure what it is but I am feeling especially un-verbose today. P-days are not my most prefered day and I just want to get back to work.
All is well here and things progress onward in this corner of the vineyard. Thanks for your continued support.
I love you all.
Love,
Soeur Cummins