Thursday, September 11, 2008

be not afraid, only believe

These are the words of Jesus Christ in the New Testament spoken to the ruler of the synagogue who had been informed that his beloved daughter had just died. What frightening news that would be? How much anguish topples upon you at such news? Yet, perfectly so, Jesus spoke these calming words and then went forth and brought the damsel back to life.

"As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe" -Mark 5:36 (The New Testament)

These five simple, yet timelessly influential and comforting words still have the power today to bring so much hope to the turmoil and trepidation that can many times fill our lives. So much in this world is frightening and perhaps for many it is difficult not to be overwhelmed by the negativity, hate, malice, suffering and gloom that is ever at hand. Now, how would I, this mere twenty year old girl, know anything about the darkness that fills this world? I suppose I do not know much about true anguish, turmoil and feelings of malice, but I have felt other sorts of darknesses that are equally fearful: the intense pangs of lonliness that can captured your heart and take you to a place low and miserable; times of distress that have filled the deepest part of who I am, even my soul, with despair.

However I am grateful for the recollection of Christ's words (especially during those times of difficulty). When I put my faith in Him and those words, all fear and darkness (which are one in the same) diminish. Christ is the lover of my soul, and I know that He came to this earth in all charity and love in order to feel and suffer all so that He would know how to succor me, and each and every one of God's children (= everyone), in our afflictions and times of despair. How do I know this? Because of this:

"And he (Christ) shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of the world. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their ifirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." - Alma 7:11-12 (The Book of Mormon, p. 225)

Sometimes life, even for happy-go-lucky me, can be hard to bear, but knowing that Christ knows all my sufferings and can help me through those times of fear and darkness if I but have faith gives me the hope to look forward to the next bright day.

He is the One that inspires me to believe and not fear.